In our social media series for small business we’ve talked about why social media is important and which social media channels are best for your business
In this final article, we’re covering the ‘how?’ with some tips to using social media to build engagement and grow your business.
Getting Started on Social Media
Choose the platforms you are most comfortable with and dedicate some time each week to explore the channels, create posts and build your own community. Unlike your website, social media is fluid and more relaxed. Take an honest open approach and be yourself. You’ll find it easier as you go to create posts and add comments.
To help you on your way, we’ve listed a few tips for your social media activity:
- Focus on quality – One of the best ways to build your following is to give your audience what they are interested in.
- Avoid the “hard sell” – Seek to inform and educate your audience first, rather than bombarding them with sales pitches. A “softer” sell approach works best on social media.
- Know your audience – By using and monitoring the same social media channels as your audience, you can gain insights into what makes them tick.
- Be responsive – If you get a message or comment, make sure you respond in a timely manner to thank them or provide solutions.
- Measure your metrics – Within each platform you can measure engagement and followers. Google Analytics can provide data on visitors to your website and conversions.
- Monitor your competitors – Seeing what your competitors are doing in regards to social media marketing can be helpful in designing your own campaign.
The channels you choose will depend on your business but because they have different audiences and purposes, it’s worth having more than one to deliver on multiple objectives.
Good Luck and Get Social